Toowoomba Grammar School has a vibrant Music Tuition Program and offers private or paired tuition in the following Music fields: Brass, Woodwind, Drum Kit, Voice, Guitar, Strings and Piano.
The full list of Toowoomba Grammar School Music Tutors and Ensemble Directors can be found here.
Please click here for a letter sent to all parents at the end of 2020 regarding the 2021 Music Tuition Program.
Parents are invited to compete the online form below in order for their son to enrol in individual instrumental or vocal instruction. For any enquiries regarding our Music Tuition Program in the Senior School please contact Mrs Natalie Otto, Director of Performance, for Junior School enquiries please contact Mrs Kellie Dixon, Head of Junior School Music, or for any general enquiries please contact Mrs Janelle Handley, Music Administration Assistant, on [email protected] or phone 07 4687 2542.
Music Tutors & Timetables
Steve Beezley (Guitar) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Teresa Brix (Strings) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Melissa Buchholz (Woodwind) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Elizabeth Crook (Brass) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Elizabeth Gordon (Piano) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Gavin McKenzie (Saxophone and Clarinet) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Janelle Fletcher (Piano & Voice) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Jonathan Willis (Drum kit & Saxophone) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Josh Meppem (Guitar) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Martin Paroz (Voice) – Term 1 Music Tuition Timetable 2021
Terms and Conditions of Enrolment in the Music Tuition Program
1. Fees are charged at the chosen rate by each individual Instrumental Teacher, which is currently up to $37 per 30 minute private lesson. Fees are subject to change in accordance with the minimum MTAQ recommended rate: https://www.qmta.org.au/tuition.
2. Invoices are sent to parents at the beginning of each term. If the invoice remains outstanding after the due date your son’s teacher is not obliged to conduct any further scheduled lessons. Payment for any further scheduled lessons will still be expected.
3. Fees are not refundable.
4. Discontinuation of lessons – students are not able to discontinue lessons, or take breaks from lessons, during a term for any reason. Notice of cancellation must be given four weeks before the end of a term if you wish your son to discontinue lessons at the end of the term. Please contact the Music Department at [email protected] to request a link to the cancellation form.
5. At the end of each year, unless a cancellation form is completed, it is assumed that your son will continue lessons into the following year.
6. Paired lessons are available only if another student at a similar standard has requested a paired lesson. Paired lessons are not available on piano.
7. The Music Department does not automatically receive information regarding your son’s expected absences from school. If your son is unable to attend a lesson due to appointments/exams/excursions/camps etc, you must specifically notify the Instrumental Music teacher (phone call preferred) with at least 24 hours’ notice, otherwise you will forfeit the lesson fee. Teachers will make every endeavour to reschedule the lesson, subject to availability, only if at least 24 hours’ notice has been received.
8. In the case of your son being unexpectedly absent from school due to illness, parents are responsible for phoning the Instrumental Music teacher prior to 8:00am to give notice that your son will be missing his music lesson. You will forfeit the lesson fee if notice of your son’s illness is not received. Teachers will make every endeavour to reschedule the lesson, subject to availability, only if notice has been received by phone prior to 8:00am.
9. Parents will be required to purchase sheet music, music books and/or other music materials (drum pads, reeds, cork grease, cleaners, valve oil etc) for instrumental music lessons. Your son’s instrumental music teacher will notify you regarding these details.
10. Lessons during breaks and out of School hours are very limited and are reserved mainly for Year 11 & 12 students on a first-in basis.
Terms and Conditions of Instrument Hire in the Music Tuition Program
I acknowledge the instrument at all times remains the property of Toowoomba Grammar School and is hired subject to the following conditions:
1. The instrument remains the property of Toowomba Grammar School, and is to be used by the student to whom it is hired and by no other person. Please leave the red or blue TGS tag on the instrument so that it can be identified quickly as a TGS instrument.
2. The instrument’s use must be carefully supervised at home by parents. Every care and attention must be given to the instrument during the period of hire, and this includes not leaving the instrument in hot environments (ie cars) and safely storing the instrument in its case or on a stand when not in use.
3. Parents are required to purchase sundry items relating to the use of the instrument, ie reeds, cork grease, valve oil, special neck straps etc. A basic starter kit will be provided with each instrument at the beginning of the year, and parents are expected to replace these items as necessary throughout the year.
4. The instrument is returnable upon request at any time for inspection, repair, adjustment or for any other reason at the School’s discretion.
5. If the instrument is damaged due to negligence or wilful damage, parents will be responsible for repair costs. If the instrument is lost, parents will be responsible for replacement costs.
6. The instrument is hired with the understanding that the student must attend all scheduled lessons and ensemble rehearsals (if applicable). Students must also meet their Music Tutor’s home practice expectations. If a student does not meet attendance or practice expectations the instrument hire may be ceased.
7. The instrument must be returned immediately should your son cease to be a student of Toowoomba Grammar School.
8. The instrument must be returned with all parts intact and personal items removed at the end of the School year. Parents will be contacted later in the year regarding the details of instrument return due to different requirements for Junior and Senior School students.
9. Instrument hire is charged at the rate of $84.50 per term. Fees will be added to school accounts.